The effects and nutritional value of celery
Celery is a delicious vegetable and widely used worldwide. Celery has many effects and high nutritional value. It is food which has essential nutrients for the body as well as the unexpected effects that many people still do not know.
Celery is not only the raw material for processing the delicious meals, but also is used to treat a number of serious diseases, especially hypertension. The food has more benefits of nutrition and health. Many people usually do not like to eat dishes made of this vegetable and even celery juice.
The basic nutritional value of celery
Celery is a vegetable rich in nutrients such as Vitamin B6, Riboflavin, Calcium, Pantothenic acid, magnesium, phosphorus, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, iron, manganese, folate, potassium and fiber … This food contains low levels of fat and cholesterol.
In addition, celery also contains beta carotene, higher than the carrot; more Vitamin C than orange, tangerine; calcium is higher than a glass of milk and the iron content is 2 times of spinach. In 100g of celery contains 0.6% lipid, 6.3% protein, 2.1% minerals … provide calories: 11.7 kcal (starch), 1.5 kcal (fats), 2.8 kcal (proteins)…
Cons: Celery contains high levels of sodium and most of calories in the food are from sugar.
Some health benefits of celery
- Weight loss: A celery provides about 5 calories. Celery provides very few calories while high fiber content should be effective for those who want to lose weight. So, celery is useful food for weight loss.
- Treatment of hypertension: Celery contains apigenin, a natural chemical helps prevent high blood pressure and to dilate the artery. Many studies have demonstrated that celery has antihypertensive effect significantly; maintaining time is depending on much or less dose and on each object.
Usage: Celery is cut and cooked with a little water for drinking daily may help you stabilize blood pressure. Or, using fresh celery juiced by pounding, and then adds a little honey and malt sugar, the amount of the same, boiled before drinking also get result in significantly lower blood pressure.
However, people with low blood pressure should not use celery. Do not store celery in the refrigerator more than 2 weeks for furanocoumarin in celery will increase 25 times, can cause cancer. Celery can help to maintain “man nature”, but if using too much will cause the opposite effects.
- Healing cholesterol: Due to high levels of iron and magnesium, celery has therapeutic effects of anemia, Hodgkin, and hemorrhages diseases …
- Keeping your healthy bones: This vegetable is an abundant source of Vitamin K, with a lot of calcium and magnesium – are useful for bone building and help the joints stay healthy. Celery also contains polyacetylene, an anti-inflammatory substance, which is capable of reducing the swelling and pain around the joints.
- Diuretic: Content of potassium and sodium in celery will help diuretic. They stimulate the body to produce urine and adjusting the amount of liquid in the body by removing excess water.
- Preventing kidney stones: Eat celery can help prevent kidney stone formation.
- Diabetes Prevention: The amount of fiber in vegetables helps increase the sensitivity of insulin, which lowers blood sugar and control sugar levels in the body will help prevent the risk of diabetes.
- Anti-cancer: Celery contains many antioxidants which is capable of inhibiting the growth of cancer cells, particularly colon cancer.
Thanks to the ability to enhance gastrointestinal motility, celery reduces the exposure of toxic waste onto the intestinal wall, thereby helping to prevent colon cancer.
- Celery have high nutritional value can boost digestion, nourish the liver and strengthen adrenal function. In addition, essential oils (apiole) in celery can boost kidney function, anti-edema. Chlorophyll in celery also makes you have fresh breath.
Above is some information on the effects and nutritional value of celery for health. In addition, celery also have other unexpected effects, you can refer to in the next articles.Tags: health benefits of celery, nutritional value, nutritional value of celery, weight loss